Sonoma County Vineyard

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Dinner with the in-laws

My in-laws are not what you think of as the proverbial in-laws. We actually get along (and quite well). They watch our kids 3 days a week - sometimes more - and I bring them wine. I think we're getting the better end of the deal. But once every couple of weeks we cook them dinner. It's something I always look forward to.

On this night, we started with this wine....It's an Italian Prosecco (sparkling wine) from Trader Joe's. This wine is a great start to an evening. There's just something about bubbles that makes it feel like a special occasion. And at less than $6, this wine can make almost any day a special occasion. It also makes great mimosas for that Sunday brunch.

Dinner preparation was a bit of a fiasco. When I opened the tri-tip, it smelled bad. Not taking any chances, my father-in-law and I ran out to Sonoma Market - love that place - to get a fresh one.

I made a rub out of espresso powder, cayenne, ginger, brown sugar, oregano, salt and pepper. I think it turned out really tasty. And to pair with it, we opened this.... It was the first time I tried this Syrah from Sonoma Valley. I've had their Zin on several occasions. Amapola Creek is a private winery started by Richard and Alis Arrowood. Richard has been making wine in Sonoma Valley since the 70's and has a special way with grapes. Amapola means Poppy in Spanish and the winery was named for the creek that runs through the property that is lined with California Poppies every Spring.

This wine is sourced from estate fruit that is organically grown. The color was deep purple. In fact, it was so dark, I would have mistaken it for a Petite Sirah if I didn't know what was in the bottle.

The fruit was plum and blackberry with hints of cooking spices and smoked meats. It was a perfect selection for the grilled tri-tip. I don't have many "rules" for wine, but when it comes to foods coming off the grill they are usually paired best with Syrah. There's just something about it. This wine was perfectly balaced and had one of the best mouthfeels I've ever experienced with a Syrah. I have to get some more of this before they run out!

In addition to the tri-tip, we had tri-color potatoes and cheese biscuits. I'd never had a purple potato before, but they were really good. We also finished up with a Lemon Meringue pie that my mother-in-law baked with fresh lemons from her garden. Sorry for no picture, but we gobbled it up so fast, there wasn't a chance....it was spectacular.

I'll continue to look forward to our dinners and the food and wine that goes along with it. It's also a small way to say thank you for watching our kids. But there's some good bonding that happens too! Invite your in-laws (or parents) over for dinner....you never know what will happen.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment