Sonoma County Vineyard

Monday, February 8, 2010

The Super Bowl

I'm not a big football fan. I never really have been. Sure, I know some key names, know how the game is played and can get into it when it's called upon me. But if I miss the 'big' game I won't be disappointed.


However, this year we were invited to a Super Bowl party which made the game not only a game, but a social event too. And what happens at social events? We drink wine! And eat lots of food. Now this sounds like fun.



Here's what I brought to the game....For starters, we opened the Tandem Pinot Noir, 2006 Sonoma County. It was typically light, but did not disappoint on the nose or palate. Pinot loves cool climate and lots of fog and wind (sounds a lot like Chardonnay). When it's grown in colder climates, generally the result is more earth and less fruit. I like my Pinot Noir earthy, not fruity. This one was all barnyard and forest floor and made for a perfect sipping wine while dining on pre-game food.


We also opened up a 2006 Matanzas Creek Syrah, Sonoma County and an 05 Quivira Grenache. Both we're bigger, bolder wines with tons of fruit and character. In my opinion, these bigger, bolder wines were the perfect pairing for the Super Bowl. After all, is there a bigger game in the season than the Super Bowl?


Game day foods included chips and dips, chicken wings and bread bowls filled with homemade chili. All the wines worked well with the food, but the Syrah and the chili seemed to be the best pairing.

I know what you're thinking, "shouldn't you be drinking beer on game day?" But I'm not a beer drinker and never have been. Guinness is my beer of choice when I do drink it, but wine is generally my drink of choice.


The game is over now (and the social event is too), but maybe I'll look forward to the Super Bowl next year to see if I can better the pairings. But for now, I'm content.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment